MAEVE

MAEVE

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Random Act of Kindness - Today Maeve Gave a Stranger Flowers

Maeve's birthday flowers last year.

Yesterday Jess sent me the following to be posted and shared here - I won't say any more because, as usual, Jess's eloquence communicates itself beautifully:

"I used the first of my Maeve cards today! I don't know why it has taken me so long. It took me ages to remember to put them in my wallet and then, although I often thought about them, I couldn't seem to come up with a good enough idea for how to use one. This has been quietly bothering me. ..it really shouldn't be that hard to spread a little kindness, to randomly help a stranger. I have tried to trust the process though and believe that an opportunity would present itself when the time was right.

I have been feeling sad today, struck I think with the nostalgia that came with a special anniversary yesterday....3 whole years since I found out I was carrying Maeve...a magical moment, now tarnished with the 'if onlys' that accompany her loss. And so I thought it might help to feel I was doing something positive in her memory.

I visited my favourite local florist,  one I often use to source special flowers to take to Maeve's memorial at the crematorium. The owner is always so kind and accommodating. It was lovely to tell him about Maeve today and he didn't  hesitate in agreeing to help me to spread a little kindness in her memory. So I gave him a small donation and a card explaining our mission. He plans to create a special bouquet and leave it somewhere in the village for someone to find, with the Maeve card attached. He called it an 'adopt a bouquet' and plans to post on their Facebook page that it's out there for someone to find and enjoy. 

So I am feeling a little brighter, as if Maeve and I have a tiny secret, a wee plan to brighten up someone else's day. I am so grateful to my wonderful friend who created this blog and the kindness at its heart. My wee Maeve might just change the world, one beautiful act at a time. 

Please let me know if you would like to join us in remembering my baby girl and growing the Maeve  Effect."


If you live in or near Stewarton in Scotland, maybe you will be the one to adopt Maeve's bouquet??


Here it is :-D

The florist shop in question, Bloomingwales, writes on their FB Page:

"Some days you meet people who make you take a look at yourself. Yesterday was one of those days. A young lady came into the shop and commissioned us to create a bouquet and, at our discretion, give it to someone we felt would benefit from it. The only request was that we include a small card which reads as follows:

'Hello! Someone has just performed a random, small act of kindness for you in loving memory of Maeve Elizabeth McCormack, born sleeping 16/4/2013. If you can, please return the favour by doing the same for someone else - or simply say her name aloud xxx.
http://themaeveeffect.blogspot.co.uk/'

So in respect of this request we will take the commission and create another adopt a bouquet which will be left somewhere in the town today. The only request we make is that you like and share this post in the hope that it will make us all take a small look inside and make us better people - if only for a little while."

And as good as their word, that's what they did, later posting:

 "If you've managed to drag yourself out of the house on this miserable "summers" day then be on the look out for our lovely adopt a bouquet, which will be placed somewhere around Stewarton after 4 o'clock today. Keep your eyes peeled and let us know if you spot it or even better if you take it home!"

At the time of writing, their post about this bouquet has 52 likes and many lovely comments!

If you would like to join us in remembering Maeve this way (or in any other ways you would like shared here,) if you have ideas about small kindnesses that we could do in her name, and especially if you would like to receive some of Maeve's calling cards, which will cost you nothing, please email themaeveeffect@yahoo.co.uk.

(If you would like to receive cards please do include your full postal address, which will not be shared with any third parties and will be kept very safe and confidential.)

No comments:

Post a Comment