MAEVE

MAEVE

Sunday 16 August 2015

Maeve Day, August 2015 - Today Maeve bought 10 pre-pay Ice creams & heard from a little girl called Florence & her mummy!

[Picture taken by me today at Clarence Park, St Albans, Herts]

Today is a Maeve Day - of course for her family every day brings thoughts of Maeve but the 16th of every month is another month of Maeve's absence marked. Today is also Jess's birthday, which must make for a particularly bitter-sweet remembrance.

I had tried to buy pre-pay coffees at my local cafe, but it was mysteriously shut. I thought about lurking by the pay machine in a local car park but we had promised to take the kids to the park and so that's what we did. I made sure I had at least 10 of Maeve's cards in my wallet. I had to meet my family in the park as I had a few chores to do before I could join them. On the way to the park I had been worrying and worrying what I would do about the cards - I didn't want to let the day go by without doing something. I actually said out loud to Maeve 

'Ok kid, if you see an opportunity to do something you give me a nudge, alright?

and then got on with the afternoon.

We played at the park, helped and cheered middle child as she valiantly ploughed up and down the park's pathways, trying to peddle her bike, small son kicked balls, been chased and tickled, pushed on the swings and eldest girl had run, jumped, cartwheeled and monkey-barrred to within an inch of (my) sanity. The only solution was, apparently, ice cream. We got chatting to the man selling the ice cream and he joined us watching and yelling supportive comments to our courageous junior cyclist. He seemed like a super nice guy, so I told him about Maeve and asked him if I could pre-pay for 10 ice creams and would he give them out as he saw fit and give the cards away too, please? He was a bit non-plussed at first but quickly became game to the cause. By the time we were leaving he let me know that people were very suspicious of free ice cream at first but once they got over the initial weirdness, were only too happy to accept them! He had given away 9 and seemed confident that he could give away the last one by the end of the day. I thanked him and asked if I could come back again next month. He said he'd be there again next week! So he enjoyed it too!

I felt that it had all gone rather well - much better than I anticipated...but I wondered if anyone would act on the cards. I tried not to dwell on it - getting people involved would be awesome but really, it's the remembrance of Maeve through small kind acts that is important. I had a stern word with myself about keeping to the point and thought no more about it...UNTIL...

I received this email via this blog's email account (shared with the author's kind permission:)

[Florence Clarke, aged 8 months Copyright Felicity Clarke - reprinted her with her permission]

"Dear Maeve,

Today my mummy let me have my first taste of an ice lolly and all because of you. She never normally lets me have sugar but she said this was a very special ice lolly gift from you to me and so it was such a treat ! So lovely and cool and sweet on a warm afternoon and so nice on my sore gums where I am growing new teeth !

We were walking through the park with our friends and stopped at an ice cream van when the kind gentleman serving there passed us your card and ice lollies. My mummy was so touched by your card and the kind gesture that she had to take a few moments to compose herself. She loves me so much you see that she knows just how much your mummy must be hurting and she is so very sorry. She thinks the idea of spreading acts of kindness in your memory is just wonderful and inspirational.
 
She said a prayer for you Maeve and your family and told me she will plan something nice for someone else in your memory next month on the 16th. 

Sleep peacefully. 

Florence Clarke (8 months)
St Albans"

It was so lovely to receive  this! I can't hardly wait to deliver some cards to Florence's family, as they are planning to use them on the 16th September! 

If you would like some cards to give out with small kindnesses email now to themaeveeffect@yahoo.co.uk - I am fulfilling 3 requests tomorrow before I go on holiday for a week and would be happy to send out more :-D

Happy Maeve Day guys xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment